What makes the Best Colorado Family Vacation?
It can be tough to decide which dude ranch is the best for your outdoor adventures and family vacations in Colorado, so to help you out, here are several reasons why Sundance Trail Guest Ranch is different from the rest of the pack:
Size – We are a Small Colorado Dude Ranch:
Get to know your neighbors! Meet other guests that come from all across the United States and Colorado and strike up a conversation. Plus, there are no name tags, no crowds, and no lines. Whether you’re here to experience new outdoor adventures in the summer or to relax and unplug from your busy life in the winter, we guarantee you’ll have an amazing and unique experience here at Sundance Trail Guest Ranch in Red Feather Lakes, CO.
To keep your experience special, we only accommodate up to seven families at a time (or 24 people maximum). This means that while our ranch is small, it gives each individual and family that much more space to play! (In fact, you will have a million acres of National Forest to play in!)
Our Relaxed Atmosphere:
- Don’t even pack your watch. You won’t need it. We ring the dinner bell for the most important activities of the day!
- While we offer a packed weekly schedule of outdoor adventures, activities, and things to do in Colorado, you’re not locked into a rigid schedule – every activity is optional, and there is a good balance of “unstructured time.”
- The best vacations are relaxing!
Our Flexible Horseback Riding Schedule:
You may not have ever ridden a Western horse before, or you may own a horse and ride every day! Either way, because Sundance is such a small Colorado dude ranch, and because we keep riding groups small, we are able to be very flexible in our Colorado horseback riding program and in most activities.
Our Outdoor Adventures:
- White Water Rafting
- Rock Climbing & Belaying
- Mountain Bikes
- Jackalope Hunts!
We Love to Teach:
Our barn is an excellent place to develop your Colorado horseback riding skills:
- Beginners begin with the basics – most are jogging and loping by the end of the week.
- We coach the proficient – if desired, coaching is always available.
- We believe that horseback riding should be fun, should be safe, and that learning never ends.
- Not a Nose-to-Tail Program: Our wranglers will never tell you to “get in line.” We don’t believe in lines! (If you enjoy lines, I guess that you’ll have to go to Disney…)
Our Concern for Your Safety:
- Our barn follows the standards of the American Association of Horsemanship Safety,
- Our wranglers are Safety Certified by the Dude Ranchers Association,
- Dan (Sundance owner) is a certified Instructor in the DRA Wrangler Safety Certification program.
Frankly, you should not consider a Colorado dude ranch that does not have safety certification from an outside organization. (There are a number of fine organizations that provide standards and safety certification programs.)
Our Concern for the Environment:
- The environment is not “something out there,” or covered with concrete and asphalt. Our life is part of the Rocky Mountain moraine ecosystem.
- You will not see trash on your trail rides. Ever. Only very rarely will you see any other people!
- We live the “No Trace” Ethic, which means that we do our best to leave a very small footprint in our National Forest. We leave nothing in the forest and we take nothing from the forest – except, of course, good memories and good pictures!
We’re Pet Friendly:
- We are the only Colorado pet friendly dude ranch that we know!
- Your dog, if he/she is well mannered around children and other animals, is welcome! Give us a call and we can discuss details. Or visit our Pet Friendly rules page.
- Your horses are also welcome! Call us about hay, vaccinations and coggins.
We’re Close to the Airport:
How much of your vacation do you want to spend “getting there”? Although lost in the mountains, we are less than a two hour drive from Denver International Airport.
We’re Family Orientation:
- We enjoy sharing our lifestyle with people, especially families. We enjoy helping families play together.
- If you are looking for a “drop-off” children’s program, then Sundance Trail is not the best Colorado family vacation ranch for you.
- We have no county, city, hotel or restaurant taxes – just 3.5% state retail tax.
Tips and Surprise Fees:
- Some ranches add an automatic “Service Fee” or “Gratuity” to your bill. We do not.
- If our staff has delighted you, you may leave a tip on the bill, that is divided equally among the staff. This is entirely at your discretion.
- “Adventures” shouldn’t mean surprise fees!
- We belong to
- the Colorado Dude and Guest Ranch Association,
- the Dude Ranchers Association,
- the Larimer County Horseman’s Association.
This means that we take pride in maintaining high standards of guest safety, horse health, cleanliness and business ethics.
Come Visit Us:
- This is our home, we live here and we’re open year-round.
- You are very welcome to come visit our Colorado dude ranch, and meet the staff and horses. Just give us a call!
Contact Sundance Trail Guest Ranch in Red Feather Lakes, CO
Sundance Trail Guest Ranch is a Colorado dude ranch offering the best family vacations with horseback riding and other fun things to do in Colorado!
If you’re looking for outdoor adventures or family vacation ideas in Colorado, request our Dude Ranch brochure (you can also download it in a PDF here), and call us at at (970) 224-1222 or (800) 357-4930 today! Prefer email? Use our Contact page. We can’t wait to hear from you!