Kitchen Manager / The Cook
This position is filled, unless Kay wins the lotto! Welcome back Kay!
Be that a Chef or self-taught cook. This person is responsible for:
- managing the rest of the kitchen staff (and wranglers who wander in).
- planning, with owners, weekly menus with an emphasis on recipes in ranch cookbook, (A two week cycle of a seven-day menu and recipes are provided by the ranch as a starting point. New recipes and significant menu changes are to be discussed with owner.)
- preparing all food served on the ranch or out on the trail,
- managing inventory, ordering groceries, and maintaining a well-stocked pantry
- assuring a clean, sanitary, safe kitchen, as defined by Public Health rules and regulations
- assuring that all staff follow proper food handling and storage practices
This is a leadership position; s/he directs, delegates and motivates other staff. The Kitchen Manager sets the tone and the atmosphere. Being in the kitchen under the leadership of a strong cheerful manager can be fun. Most days this person will start about 10 AM, prepare lunch & dinner. This person will also bake cookies, breads, desserts. THE Cook Requirements:
- professional cooking experience preferred, but will consider candidates who are talented cooks and
- can plan,
- can manage, and
- can relate to others in a very high paced and sometimes stressful environment.
- Psychosis, with a sense of humor, is not an impediment to this job. Uncontrolled alcoholism, however, is.
- Strong social skills, attention to personal appearance, and proper etiquette are essential.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry 85 pounds a minimum of 300 feet while working at altitude of 8,000 feet.
- Ability to drive vehicles with stick shift preferred.
- Must be able to perform all of the duties listed in high altitude environment.
- Horse knowledge and skills is preferred, as this allows the employee to also assist with wrangling duties and get out of the kitchen every now and then and have fun!