Many families come here because we provide a summer dude ranch family vacation or Bed and Breakfast Country Inn experience that also welcomes your horses and dogs.
Dude Ranch Delight – Dog Friendly Guest Ranches, Bark Magazine, July/Aug 2009 and Pet Friendly in the Rocky Mountains, Colorado, The Pet Gazette, May/June 2006.
There is no extra charge for your pet.
There are some pretty common-sense rules listed here, and some Special Notes at the bottom pf the page:
A growing number of people are now bringing their dogs with them. A dude ranch is doggy heaven! You are very welcome to bring your dog during either our Summer Dude Ranch season or our fall/winter/spring Bed & Breakfast Country Inn season. Most people find the following rules to be common sense and common courtesy.
If you do not agree with any of these, you should not bring your dog here. If you have any questions, please call us to discuss these topics before you bring your dog,
- Your dog must have proof of current rabies vaccination. If your dog does not have this proof, you will be asked to remove her or him from the property immediately.
- You are expected to control your dog and be responsible for his or her behavior at all times. Some dogs need to be kept on leash, others can run free. We may ask you to leash your dog.
- Your dog must have manners around adults and children, lots of small children. The owner of (or the person who brings) a dog who bites a person or jumps on a person or causes a person any injury is fully liable for any damages and losses. Be prepared for any legal consequences.
- Your dog must respect property. If your dog chews on any of the furniture or fittings, you can take the affected piece of furniture or fitting home with you, as we will replace it at your expense. The purchase price of the replacement piece of furniture is entirely at the discretion of the ranch and non-negotiable. Consider bringing a crate for your dog.
- Your dog must be fully house trained. You will be expected to clean any accidents. We will assist you by providing cleaning agents. If, in our sole opinion, your clean up is not satisfactory, we will arrange for professional cleaning at your expense. If, in our sole opinion, professional cleaning is not satisfactory, we will arrange for replacement at your expense.
- Your dog must have manners around ranch animals, including horses, ponies, donkeys, pigmy/baby goats, sheep, pigs, rabbits, chickens ducks, and whatever else might be on the ranch at any time.. The ranch bears no responsibility or liability for any injuries that your dog suffers if she or he is kicked or bitten by a horse, pony or donkey.
- Any ranch animals that are injured by your dog, or who sustain an injury because of your dog will be cared for by the veterinarian of our choice at your expense or replaced at your expense. The choice of veterinarian and/or the purchase price of the replacement animal is entirely at the discretion of the ranch and non-negotiable.
- You are fully responsible for your pet’s health and welfare and feed. We are not veterinarians. We cannot treat your dog if she or he is injured or becomes ill. We can refer you to our local veterinarian or help you transport your horse to the Colorado State University Large Animal Veterinary Hospital in Fort Collins.
- Dogs are not allowed in the dining room. Dogs are strictly never allowed in the kitchen.
- There may be guest horses and/or other guest dogs here at the same time yours are here. The ranch cannot take any responsibility or liability for any negative experiences suffered by your dog because of other guest horses or dogs on the ranch.
- Dogs must be brought in to sleep inside at night. Coyotes eat house-dogs.
- “Fighter breeds” should be left at home.
- Dogs who have not been neutered should be left at home.
- A growing number of people are now bringing their horses with them. You are very welcome to bring your horse. You will be asked to sign an agreement that legally binds you to the following: Your horse is welcome here if she or he is healthy and well mannered. (Except that uncut stallions and mare/foal pairs should be left at home.)
- Horses from out of state must have proof of a negative coggins dated within the last six months.
- Remember that we have other guests here, some of whom are small children, some of whom sometimes find their way down to the corrals without parental supervision. The ranch cannot be liable for the behavior of guest children, nor can we be liable for the behavior of your animals. There may be legal and liability issues if a guest child interacts with your horse and is injured.
- We can provide an open corral, fresh water and sweet feed.
- We ask you to provide your own hay.
- Our corrals have no shelter.
- Clipped horses should not be brought here in cold weather.
- You are expected to provide all of your horse’s care and tacking.
- The adaptation to 8,000 feet elevation takes some humans by surprise, some horses too! If your horse is not in good physical condition, he or she may not be able to carry you on the trail without risking exhaustion or colic. If this is the case, you will be welcome to ride one of our horses while your horse adapts.
- Don’t forget sun block or zinc oxide if your horse is white skinned.
- There may be other guest horses and/or dogs here at the same time yours are here. The ranch cannot take any responsibility or liability for any negative experiences suffered by your horse because of other guest horses and/or dogs on the ranch.
- The ranch cannot be liable for any injury or illness that your horse sustains while here.
- We are not veterinarians. We cannot treat your horse if she or he is injured or becomes ill. We can refer you to our local veterinarian or help you transport your horse to the Colorado State University Large Animal Veterinary Hospital in Fort Collins.
- Owners are FULLY responsible for cleaning up any peanut shells left by your elephants! No giraffes in the house please!
- Guinea pigs, hamsters and fish must be on leash at all times.
- A special note to Billy Crystal: please leave Norman home until he is FULLY house trained!