Winter Dude Ranch Caretaker/ Guest Ranch Wrangler
This position will open in September
The Winter Dude Ranch caretaker/ Guest Ranch Wrangler is a nine month position (September through May) that usually takes a leadership position the next summer. We are hoping to find someone to take leadership in next summer’s ropes program. During the fall/winter/spring months the ranch is open as a Red Feather Lakes Pet Friendly Bed & Breakfast with daily horseback riding.Typically we have no more than 10-14 guests on Friday through Monday, and usually no guests Tuesday – Thursday. The pace is a bit slower most days, and then very, very busy on weekends and holidays, with B&B guests, Murder Mystery Guests, “Wild Women’s Week-ends,” Elopement Weddings, troops of scouts, you name it! There will be four people who run the ranch, Ellen, Dan, our Barn Manager Justin, and the Winter Ranch Caretaker/Wrangler. All four of us do everything needed: wrangling, housekeeping, maintenance, cooking, teaching scouts, stage managing Murder Mysteries, and yes, even conducting weddings! Be aware that life in the mountains is very quiet (boring) when you are living with two middle aged people and there is no TV! The Responsibilities include ALL of the responsibilities listed in all of the summer job descriptions:
- Feeding and daily care of horses.
- Exercising and training horses
- Leading Guest Trail Rides; safety officer, story teller and teacher
- Teaching beginner and intermediate riders
- Housekeeping – beds, bathrooms, vacuuming, laundry (all the romantic stuff!). Be aware! Vacuuming at this altitude tends to generate HUGE amounts of testosterone in young healthy men, causing HUGE muscle development and the need to buy new, larger cowboy-ugly shirts. Healthy young cowgirls, on the other hand, just get brighter smiles (being smarter than cowboys, they know horse-feathers when they read them)!
- Cooking – assisting with meal preparation, serving, busing, and washing dishes and pots & pans
- Maintenance – fixing the long list of things that got broken the previous summer, plowing snow, fixing fence.
- Telephone – answering phone, helping prospective guests with their questions and booking reservations (these skills will be taught to you)
- We will be planning expansion of our top-ropes climbing program this year. If you have background and skills in top ropes, low ropes, challenge courses and via ferata experiences, we want to talk with you!
For more information, first read ALL of the information listed here, and then call Dan with your questions. Dude Ranch Job Requirements include:
- Strong wrangling skills (we prefer a visit to ride with us but will accept a video)
- Good teaching skills (lots of beginner riders)
- Good telephone skills
- Willingness to do lots of dishes and housekeeping
- The ability to drive standard transmission vehicles (jeeps and trucks) is required.
- Ability to enjoy folding laundry for hours while watching Netflix videos with two middle-aged people.
- Physical requirements as listed in all other job descriptions (able to repeatedly and continuously lift & carry 85 pounds at least 300 feet at an altitude of 8,000 feet).