Summer Season Lead Cook
5/27/18 Brand New Position – House Manager – We are creating a new position, with responsibility for managing Kitchen, Housekeeping, sharing/assigning staff with the Events Manager, sharing & assigning staff with the Barn Manager, managing house & food inventories, writing staff weekly schedules, and generally supervising all things that are not broken, getting married, or that go poop. Position description being drafted now. Call Ellen/Bonnie/Dan with questions (970-224-1222)
Lead Cook – You may be a Chef or self-taught cook. This person is responsible for:
- planning, with owners, weekly menus with an emphasis on recipes in ranch cookbook, (A two week cycle menu and recipes are provided by the ranch as a starting point, the cook then writes weekly menus. New recipes and significant menu changes are to be discussed with owner.)
- planning and preparing special diets as needed,
- preparing all food served on the ranch or out on the trail,
- managing inventory, ordering groceries, and maintaining a well-stocked pantry
- assuring a clean, sanitary, safe kitchen, as defined by Public Health rules and regulations
- assuring that all staff follow proper food handling and storage practices
This is a leadership position; s/he directs, delegates and motivates other staff. The Boss Cook sets the tone and the atmosphere. Being in the kitchen under the leadership of a strong cheerful boss cook can be fun. Most days this person will start about 10 AM, prepare lunch & dinner.
The Boss Cook Requirements:
- professional cooking experience preferred, but will consider candidates who are talented cooks and
- can plan,
- can manage, and
- can relate to others in a very high paced and sometimes stressful environment.
- Most of our boss cooks over the years did not have professinal training.
- Strong social skills, attention to personal appearance, and proper etiquette are essential.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry 85 pounds a minimum of 300 feet while working at altitude of 8,000 feet.
- Ability to drive vehicles with stick shift preferred.
- Must be able to perform all of the duties listed in high altitude environment.
- Horse knowledge and skills is preferred, as this allows the employee to get out of the kitchen every now and then and have fun!