What makes Sundance Trail Colorado Dude Ranch “Special?”
People sometimes ask: “What makes the Sundance Trail Guest Ranch different from other Dude Ranches?” or “What is a Dude Ranch vacation?” These are very good questions! It can be a challenge to decide which dude ranch is the best for your adventure vacation.
We have visited many of our Colorado Dude Ranch neighbors, both big and small dude ranches, and each is unique. Here are some of the aspects of the Sundance Trail that make us little bit different:
- Sundance Trail is the smallest guest ranch in the Colorado Dude Ranch Association.
- Our smaller size allows us to be relaxed, flexible, and to truly connect with all the guests who visit us.
- We are open year-round:
- Summers most of our guests stay for an entire week – experiencing an entire range of activities and connecting as a family.
- Fall, winter & spring – guests usually stay for a few days or a weekend – to experience quiet, play in our open spaces, take in the views and UNPLUG, ride horses, and relax.
Our history: Dan and I have been together for over 40 years. Throughout our careers we have cared for people and families from within the medical/nursing field.
Dan – home care nursing and hospice
Ellen – oncology and then Women’s health
After 25 years in our careers, we found out that we both fantasized that it would be fun to care for people from within our favorite vacation activity – horse back riding and Dude Ranching.
Why are we here?
1. To help families play together and ‘connect’ with one another.
- Create lifelong memories accomplishing various activities together
- Unplug from technology and really see and laugh with each other
- With the added help of our combined nursing background, this mission is real for ALL families with physical challenges.
2. Help folks to get dirty, tired, maybe a little sore.
- Horseback riding
- Rock climbing
- Shooting a gun
- Throwing a tomahawk or learning to throw a rope
- Riding their horse in a barrel pattern
- Hike our local mountains
- Play a game of Disc Golf
3. To help them rest, relax and recharge.
- Enjoy a night of square dancing
- Singing around an evening campfire
- Hanging out on the front porch – sharing conversation over a cup of coffee and a cookie fresh from the oven
- Or by dressing up to play a Murder Mystery Game over a weekend away
4. To teach the “Last Child in the Woods” the wonders of being outdoors.
- RDD – “Recreation Deficit Disorder” – you will truly be amazed at how even the most introverted or nervous of kids will flourish in this environment!
- Many of our guests have never seen the milky way, slept outdoors, or seen deer grazing!
- We allow families time to just be outdoors. Not all the time here at Sundance Trail needs to be structured. Folks have time to explore/experience nature on their own.
5. To Delight each guest so they will return and, by word of mouth, do our marketing for us!
We want to help our guests to find JOY in being up here in the mountains, whether that is:
- At our meals
- On our rides
- Finally sticking a tomahawk in the post
- Sharing a story about their ride
- Sharing a story about Lady Moon
Come Visit Us:
- This is our home, we live here and we’re open year-round.
- You are very welcome to come visit our Colorado dude ranch, and meet the staff and horses. Just give us a call!
If these differences attract you, then the Sundance Trail may be a great fit for your Colorado family vacation. If not, feel free to give us a call, and maybe we can direct you to a neighboring Colorado dude ranch.
This article may be useful: How To Choose the Right Dude Ranch For Your Family