Reports to: General Manager (Dan)
All Managers work together to:
- Assess current activities and structures with an eye to improvement and/or correct issues.
- Plan future team activities and structures, including assisting the other two teams, as needed.
- Orient, train, and educate staff members.
- Supervise staff: providing leadership, direction, correction, praise and encouragement.
- Evaluating what activities/structures are working well and what require further attention.
- Animal Care
- Ensure and maintain health, safety, and happiness of all animals owned by the ranch
- Develop and implement nutrition plan for all animals
- Fit and check the fit of tack several times a year as necessary
- Basic medical and preventative care of herd with Dan’s help, maintaining relationships with farriers and veterinarians
- Monitor animals on leased grazing land
- Keep horses fit and correct behavioral issues with training
- Barn Management
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of barn and grounds around barn/arena
- Ensure tack is clean and in good repair
- Ensure that all necessary supplies are stocked at all times
- Scrape paddocks when necessary
- Manage manure responsibly and run manure spreader
- Ensure water troughs are clean and stocked at all times
- Tarp hay
- Record Keeping
- Maintain immaculate records of horse care: vaccinations, worming, teeth floating, and hoof maintenance on master barn log.
- Assure complete and up-to-date Riders Logs.
- Maintain master horse list under Dan’s supervision
- Coordinate hay delivery
- Coordinate stocking of grain and other supplies with Dan
- Maintain rotational grazing plans on lease properties
- Employee Management
- Team interview and hire seasonal candidates
- Orient and train new wranglers. Provide continuous education of all wranglers as opportunities arise. Team teach DRA Wrangler Safety Course.
- Provide leadership to create a culture of teamwork to produce our product: a delighted guest. (praise, correction, education, coaching, encouragement)
- Create weekly barn staff schedule each week
- Ensure that all barn staff are meeting standards of horse care
- Prefer lifelong equestrian
- Previous Herd Management experience (5+ years)
- Equine nutrition knowledge
- Knowledge of equine health, disease
- Exceptionally high standard of animal welfare
- Organizational capabilities
- Honesty and open communication skills
- Ability to drive a tractor
- Ability to properly fit western tack
- Knowledge of rotational grazing practices to ensure land health is maintained on lease properties
- Management experience (1+ years)
- Hospitality minded
- Current CPR certification