For either a Colorado dude ranch family vacation or a Colorado Mountain Inn bed and breakfast get-away, you will find our home cozy and relaxing. Use our virtual tour to move through the lodge, several of our rooms, the rec room and around our property!
Sundance Trail is a small horse ranch, with mountain lodge and cabin suites for up to seven families or twenty-four guests.
After a trail ride, the lodge and adjoining decks are an inviting place for a fresh cup of coffee, reading, cards, swapping stories, or just plain enjoying the view. After sundown the stars come out and set our Colorado sky ablaze.
A stone’s throw from the lodge is our recreation barn.
After a fun day of trail riding and family vacation activities, a trip to the jaccuzzi is a welcome and relaxing experience. The recreation barn is where we play a game of foosball, horseshoes, or shoot a game of pool.
Our professionally decorated dude ranch suites have private baths, private outdoor entrances and decks and daily maid service. All suites include AM-FM radios, refrigerators and individual coffee service.
A good time for talking about your day’s ranch vacation adventures is before dinner. We invite our guests to join us on the lodge porch for appetizers and a beverage (BYOB – there is a liquor store on the property for soda, beer, wine and spirits).
Then the old dinner bell rings out the message… “Supper’s On The Table!”
Whether it’s cookouts, steak barbecues, lunch on the trail or picnicking under the pines, family vacation meal time is special.
The ranch serves up excellent fare. Meals are Colorado hearty western, served family style, with home made breads and desserts… always delicious.
We are very flexible and will be happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions with advance notice.
Mobility Friendly Suites
A Wheelchair Friendly Dude Ranch!
Review of dude ranch Spirit of the West in Paraplegia News
Cowboys and cowgirls who use wheelchairs or other mobility aides will find it relatively easy to move about. Because both Ellen and Dan are Registered Nurses, they are a bit more knowledgeable about the adaptation needs of athletes (and plain folks!) who use wheelchairs and/or other mobility aides on family vacations.:
- Our lodge porch, decks, parlor, dining room, recreation barn and jaccuzzi deck are all ramped. (There are pictures in the Accommodations page slide show.)
- The back yard, with picnic tables, horse shoe pits, and chicken coop is relatively flat.
- Pathways to the tack barn and to the rifle range are hardpacked.
- The pathway to the rifle range is relatively flat.
- BUT the slope to the tack barn and the rifle range can be a challenge for “flatlanders!” (On foot, W/C or whatever, this is the Rocky Mountains!) Nothing here is flat!
A word of caution: It is very important that our guests arrive with expectations that we can meet. This is a ranch in the mountains. The nearest concrete sidewalk is about 45 miles from here. We have pathways and jeep trails with dirt, sand, pebbles, rocks, slopes, tree roots and piles of horse poop. Please feel free to call either Ellen or Dan. We will be happy to discuss our capabilities and our limitations.
The Apache Suite is very Wheelchair friendly,
- with ramped porch;
- 42 inch doors;
- large bathroom with oversize shower (but note 4″ lip),
- roll-under sink,
- handrail at the toilet;
- and large roll-in closet.
- The suite usually has a queen bed on the main floor and two twins in the loft.
- There is lots of room to add a twin or mechanical bed to the main floor.
The Buffalo Suite can be ideal for those who use other movement aides:
- Two bedrooms, one with Queen, the other with two sets of bunks
- with ramped porch,
- immediate access to the dining room and parlor; BUT, note 36″ doors,
- large bathroom with oversize shower (with 4″ lip – possible obstacle),
- roll-under sink,
- and handrail at the toilet.
A couple of other helpful hints:
- We live at 8,000 feet. Commercial air planes are pressurized to this altitude. If you are comfortable flying, you should be comfortable here.
- We are happy to refer you to a Durable Medical Equipment Company in Ft. Collins who will deliver and set up any equipment you need.
- Our kitchen is very flexible and will be happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions with advance notice.
- Our staff is mostly college students. They are not trained medical personnel. They are eager, excited to try new things, and they learn quickly.