Colorado Dude Ranch Employment Pages and Guest Ranch/Dude Ranch Job Descriptions :
Wrangler Dani sent her Colorado Guest Ranch Wrangler memories in a video. These are a staff member’s memories, not guest family vacation memories (we do NOT shoot large caliber semi-automatic rifles!!!) Thanks Dani!
Before you read on, be aware that our ranch is value driven, not dollar driven – if you are driven more by money than making magic this is not a good fit for you.
We also have a Children’s Wrangler position open: Responsible for constructing and maintaining a complete children’s program for pre-schoolers through young teens (5 to 15 years old) for one of the smallest Dude Ranches in Colorado. The Children’s Program has a curriculum and lesson plans based on introduction and acquisition of skills; including fishing, riding, archery, astronomy, hiking, rock climbing, camping out in the tipi, and arena games. The program is very small and very flexible.
Sundance Trail Guest Ranch – Colorado
So you think you may want ranch employment with guests at a Colorado Dude Ranch or Guest Ranch? Most of us dreamed of this kind of work for years before we were hired here – we know exactly how you feel! Don’t believe that a Dude Ranch job is like a vacation at summer camp. It sounds hokey, but we truly believe that our mission is not about maximizing profit. Our mission is to maximize joy: our guests, yours, and our own.
This is very physical work, hard work with long hours. We hire folks who are:
- self directed
- well rounded
- “people – friendly”
- and who have the stamina and endurance required by ranch life.
We are looking to hire people with skills that meet the needs of the positions open. Having a “love for horses and the great outdoors” is not what we are looking for – we need specific experience with whatever each position requires. Although each of us has specific job responsibilities, each of us also must be flexible enough to work or at least assist every job of our Dude Ranch life. We create magic for our guests by:
- washing dishes (plan on it!),
- housekeeping (likewise!),
- picking up trash (constantly – including cigarette butts and other disgusting stuff),
- shoveling manure (horse, goat, kitten, whatever…),
- and clearing trail in the high country (finally something that sounds fun!).
- Please read this paragraph again!
- We are interested in candidates who can quickly and easily become part of a team.
- We have found that unmarried couples, or friends or siblings who apply “as a pair,” are seldom successful integrating with the other folks who form the team. We can no longer consider applications that come in pairs.
- Also, be aware that we do not accept Dude Ranch wrangler job applications without a video or live interview on horseback.
In Return, we offer you:
- Base Pay & Room & Board –
- Equal share of significant tip pool (if guests leave delighted)
- Personal Bonuses for Your Individual Successful Results
- The opportunity to collect new skills & training of marketable skills
- Work-Play Balance (in God’s playground)
- Working as a Team Member on a team of Professionals
- Clearly defined areas of responsibility and ownership
- To be treated with respect as a professional
- Creative Expression
- Access to Decision Makers
- Everyone enjoys clear simple rules, To be happy here.
If you are interested in working for us, then please:
- Study the Dude Ranch Job Descriptions below.
- Visit the page that lists our Expectations.
- Wranglers (only) please visit the Video script.
- Feel free to send us an Application or Wedding & Events Manager Aplication.
The Events Center
We have hosted small weddings and events for years, and are now responding to requests from brides and grooms for an alternative to the big hotel or friend’s back yard. These folks are looking for simplicity, economy, beautiful vistas and views, and an informal relaxed venue. This is a brand new position for a set of services that are different from but complimentary to our dude ranch lifestyle!
The House & Kitchen
Don’t listen to those wranglers! YOU are the most important part of our ranch! Some of the most important memories that we want to create for our guests are meal memories. We eat in the dining room, in the back yard, and on the trail. We serve “hearty western fare family style,” which can include lots of vegetables and salads as well as meat and potatoes. Because Ellen and Dan are both RN’s we see many guests who have therapeutic diets or allergies. The kitchen staff is a group of five people who have high energy and good humor. Psychosis is not an obstacle to working in the kitchen, although active drinking problems will get you sent on your way. Kitchen and housekeeping staff typically works forty-five hours per week over six days. Summer Kitchen Staff responsibilities include:
- Preparing hearty western meals for 20-25 hungry guests and 10 – 16 hungry staff (about 40 total).
- Serving meals family style; in dining room, on front porch, at picnic tables, and on the trail.
- Baking enormous amounts of desserts and cookies daily.
- Preparing therapeutic and/or special diets (with management support) as needed.
- Managing and maintains food and supplies inventories (shops for groceries).
- Regularly reviewing and assuring compliance with all Health Department Safety Standards and rules.
- Maintaining a spotless clean kitchen, including washing dishes, pots, and pans.
- Helping little kids get eggs from the hen-house.
- Helping wranglers, maintenance persons, and managers do whatever needs to get done to provide guests with a safe and delightful ranch experience.
- Telling endless jokes and humorous stories.
Job descriptions and requirements for House & Kitchen staff:
Don’t listen to those kitchen people! YOU are the most important part of our ranch! Some of the most important memories that we want to create for our guests are from horseback! The barn has five types of wranglers:
The Barn Manager (Boss) – Job Description and Requirements